Staff Promotion/Transfer Policy
The purpose of the Promotion/Transfer Policy is to provide greater opportunities for promotion and transfer from within and to improve the upward mobility potential for qualified Truman State University staff. The policy is designed to provide equal employment opportunity to all employees and job applicants.
Truman State University will inform employees of transfer and promotional opportunities through Departmental and University-wide postings when a vacancy occurs.
University Human Resources may post and advertise the position for external applicants, if the vacancy is not filled from a University-wide posting.
Only full-time and part-time regular employees are eligible to apply for a transfer or promotion. Generally, an employee who transfers under this policy shall not be eligible for a subsequent transfer for one (1) year following the transfer.
Position vacancies and transfers that are subject to the Memorandum of Agreement with Laborers, Local 773 are not covered by this policy.
Transfers resulting from reorganizations to avoid layoffs will take precedence over this policy. It is also understood that the Board of Governors and the administration of Truman State University will not relinquish any of their legal responsibilities to appoint, remove, and fix compensation, terms and conditions of employment.
The following procedures which provide for the filling of regular classified position openings have been developed to encourage and support career advancement of University employees, provide effective placement of job applicants, and assure compliance with the University’s Affirmative Action Program.
The primary objective is the selection of the best qualified applicant for each position opening. Selection shall be based upon job-related factors which shall include, but are not limited to, relevant work experience and performance history, applicable education and/or training, and required skills, knowledge and abilities.
Departments may choose initially any of the following three procedures to fill a position vacancy.
All vacancies or promotion requests will undergo the customary search approval process. The President must approve all search requests, transfers and promotions pursuant to this policy, prior to initiating the process.
- Procedure for Internal Promotion/Transfer within a Department
- The department supervisor should initiate a search request. Human Resources and the EEO/Gender Equity Office will prepare and review a job description.
- The supervisor should decide whether to review applications independently or to appoint a screening committee to evaluate applicants.
- The supervisor or committee should establish a deadline for submission of applications that is at least five (5) work days following the date of the vacancy announcement.
- The announcement should be posted on appropriate bulletin boards within the department.
- Completed applications will be sent to Human Resources. Following the deadline for submission of applications, application materials will be forwarded to the department by Human Resources. Applications received after the posted review date may be reviewed in the sole discretion of the department/committee.
- The supervisor or committee should review applications and must establish a list of finalists if appropriate.
- The supervisor, committee and other members of the department may interview the candidates, if appropriate.
- The supervisor should review the recommendations of the screening committee and recommend the promotion/transfer.
- Prior to making an offer of promotion/transfer to an employee, the department supervisor must document the review process and provide a documented rationale for the employee selected for promotion/transfer. The Non-Academic Personnel Notice must be completed and approved.
- Procedure for University-Wide Transfer/Promotion Program
- University-Wide Recruiting may be utilized to consider current Truman State University employees from other departments. The position will be posted on a secure web site through Human Resources for a minimum of five (5) work days. Employees will be notified of vacancies through the Staff List- Serv. The vacancy announcement will also be posted on appropriate bulletin boards campus-wide and will be posted on the Human Resources bulletin board as a vacancy for internal applicants only.
- The department supervisor should initiate a search request and follow the same procedures outlined for internal transfer/promotion within a department.
- Procedure for Open Recruiting
- Open Recruiting provides for public posting of position openings. This procedure permits consideration of both eligible University employees and qualified outside applicants.
- To initiate Open Recruiting, the department should initiate a search request and request that Open Recruiting begin. A minimum Open Recruiting period of five (5) work days is required. Generally, it is recommended positions be posted a sufficient time to develop an adequate pool of applicants.
- Once the search has been initiated, departments will follow the customary search process.
- General Procedural Requirements
- The department supervisor must document the review process and provide a documented rationale for the employee selected for promotion/transfer. The Non-Academic Personnel Notice must be completed and approved. A copy of the documented rationale should be maintained in departmental records for a minimum of three (3) years.
- A staff member may apply for promotion/transfer to a specific vacancy without prior notification of or approval from his or her supervisor.